Fuzzy Purple HatWe'll start with the hat, as modeled my wife. I forget what look she was going for, but there you have it. All she needs is some cats-eye glasses to complete the retro look.
I bought a couple of skeins of Yarn Bee Haute Fur on clearance at Hobby Lobby, thinking to make a monster or two when with a skein of aubergine Red Heart With Love that migrated from my wife's stash to mine.
I was told that I'm not allowed to buy any more yarn until I clear my stash a bit, and the Haute Fur was low-hanging fruit. Rather than create monsters, I whipped out a hat. Then another.
The hat is heavy, and a bit warm for Nashville's typical winter, but it is fun to wear. I'm not sure who will wind up with them, but if I have no takers, I can always add straps and a face.
Voila! A handbag!
- Red Heart With Love - Aubergine ( .2 skein ~ 77 yards )
- Yarn Bee Haute Fur - Grapette ( 1 skein ~ 93 yards, with a wee bit left over )
- Hook: I/5.5mm
- Time: 5 hrs
- Construction: There is no pattern - it's just a beanie/toque worked in the round, top down, with double crochet. I crocheted with both yarns from the beginning, and increased one row beyond my intended size (on accident), then slowly reduced the rows until I had my desired length. The result is a bit bulbous, but with some finagling, it can be worn several different ways.
Percy the Penguin with Junior
The other project is from a pattern I found on Ravelry and purchased through Etsy. Percy is larger than I expected, but he'll sit nicely on the shelf above our television. Junior is absolutely adorable, and I've already had a few requests for both. (That'll teach me to post pics on Facebook!)
- Yarn: Red Heart Solids - Black ( .5 skein ), Red, Green, White, and Heather
- Hook: G / 4.0mm
- Time: 20hrs
- Extras: Fiberfill ( 3.6 oz), Safety Eyes ( pattern calls for 6 mm, but since I made him larger than the design, I used 9mm ), yarn needle
- Construction: Since it's a purchased pattern, I can't give many details other than it's worked in the round. Well written pattern, though. You can get your own here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WollMafia